Thursday, April 19, 2018

Colgate EALL (5)

I've been working on the plant-on corners for the Japanese room, and that work forms the focus of this posting.

This week I took a trip to Colgate to check the room out, meet the parties involved, and take some measurements. I found that none of the room corners where the plant-on posts would be located had square corner. Not even close in fact - the angles were on the order of 86˚. i'm glad i waited to check this aspect before I had put the corner boards together at the shop.

The boards have a simple rebated and glued joint, which is configured so as to make the join between the boards disappear at the chamfer between the pieces:


To rebate the corner boards, I first used my table saw to remove most of the material, then set up the shaper with a Zuani 'jolly' multi-purpose cutter, here configured for rebating:


The cutter is surrounded by the Integral fence and is ready for cutting after some calibration cuts on a scrap piece have been completed:


One the rebates were done, using a climbing cut with aid of the stock feeder, I had a further cut to make to remove an approximate 4˚ slice off of the inside faces of the rebated sticks. The bandsaw table was tilted accordingly and I got to work:



Clamp-a-thon (donations now accepted!), corner #1:


Here's a square in place to show how far out of square I have made the interior of the corner after the parts are glued up:


After a couple of days, the four corners were glued up:


A little hard to see them, as placed side by side they look very much like a large avodire accordion.

In the above picture you can see a piece of cherry too, one of the recent stock arrivals for this project. it's the largest chunk of cherry I've bought, at 20/4 (5", 127mm) thick, and about 11' long. After an initial cut to bring it closer to finish length, I hoisted it onto the jointer:



Once jointed, a little trimming followed on the bandsaw:


And then it was planed, with a second jointing operation in the middle of that, followed by planing to near finish size.

A 4.75" (120mm) square was produced, and I was pleased to find it has some figure too:


I think the cherry and avodire will look great together.

Besides the cherry post, I also obtained this cherry slab, which will be used for the toko-ita and the chigai-dana, or staggered shelves:


I like how the wood seller gives some of the boards names, like 'Enoch'. That's a name you don't come across too often.

Next step is to chamfer the post glue ups, and for this I have obtained a set of chamfer knives for the corrugated knife head, a CGG Schmidt product. I'll detail more about that in a subsequent post. Thanks for visiting this time, hope you enjoyed the pictures. Post 6 follows.

4 comments:

  1. Can you post the name of the "wood seller"

    ReplyDelete
  2. Replies
    1. You're welcome. Skip is a good guy to work with and if you're looking for domestic slab stock, he'd be one of the first to call.

      Delete

All comments are moderated. Spamming and comments containing links unrelated to blog content will be deleted.