I got a couple of good sessions in over the weekend and moved the bonnet for the second cabinet ahead to the same point as shown in the previous post.
Today's task was to fabricate the stub posts, tsuka, for the two cabinets, and...well, let's just forget the 'and' part because it never happened. I often have a list with several 'ands' in it, but things don't always go as quickly as one might hope. There were a lot of steps to making these little posts.
These little posts are only 1.0" square in size, and I have rough milled the parts last week. It's a bit of a pain to try and joint such little tiny sticks on the jointer, so I squared them up in the mill. It was slower, but safer and super precise.
Then I milled dadoes on two sides of the post to fit around the shedua stand off boards:
After the dadoes were cut, I used the mill again to process a coved cut on the outer arris, then trimmed the parts to length:
There are four pieces here, in case it wasn't clear:
A few steps later, I had the tenons cut on both ends and the chamfering complete on all 8 pieces:
Fitting could then commence:
The end panels slide down between the posts:
Posts fitted to one half of one assembly:
I then repeated the process of fitting the posts to the other half of that frame 'sandwich'. That task complete, I could put the two halves together:
On to frame #2:
The bonnets temporarily situated in position for a look-see:
Next round I plan to deal with the mechanism to attach the bonnet to the top of the carcase. Hope to see you again then. Thanks for visiting the Carpentry Way. Post 72 is next.