the Carpentry Way: Gateway (72)                                                          

Gateway (72)

    
Post 72 in an ongoing series describing the design and construction of a kabukimon, a type of Japanese gate. This is a project for the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Post 1 in this series can be found here if you'd like to start at the beginning. Each post links to the next at the bottom of the page. Recent installments also to be found in the 'Blog archive' index to the right of the page.

--------

After some more work on the main doors this morning I turned my attention to the last bit of framing, namely the paneled section to the left side of the gate:


The panels had been cut out a month or so back, however they required a round of edge jointing and trimming to width and length. That left them needing finish planing and they were about an inch too wide to fit between the guide bars on the surfacer. That didn't stop me however, as I simply removed the guide bars from the surfacer altogether and ran about 2/3 of the boards through one way, flipped the board around and changed the belt feed direction for a second pass:


After several rounds, this process produced surfaced boards that were well planed. There was a little ridge or two on a couple of them, and the odd small missed spot, so I went over them with a hand plane afterwards to smooth over any such irregularities, however the surfacer worked really well in this manner I thought. It saved me a bunch of time.

I then did some more tuning with the hand plane on these boards to obtain uniform thicknesses at the panel edges of all three boards, and then edge jointed and grooved the edges for splines.

That done, I opened up the dadoes on the associated frame members until the panels could be fitted. Here's the leftmost panel fitted to the wall post:


Another view:


Then the opposing panel was fitted to the flanking post:


Another view:


That was followed by grooving the sill for the panels and then fitting the sill to the post and panel:


Another view:


The middle panel has had the splines glued in on both sides, so it will be ready to put together with its neighbors tomorrow.

My intention is to complete this paneled section tomorrow, at least in terms of cut out. The half-dovetailed battens need to be fitted to it yet, however there are only two of them so it shouldn't take too long to process the dovetails. It will be going to site as a pre-assembled unit, which will cut down on site assembly work.

Thanks for visiting the Carpentry Way. Please check out the next post, number 73