the Carpentry Way: Coffee Anyone? (3)                                                          

Coffee Anyone? (3)

    
In the week or so since my last post in this thread, I've massaged out the design a bit further, and now am at the point where I have submitted 'final' drawings to the client. Previous posts may be located in the blog archive to the right of the page.

The drawings are, let's say, 95% there, though I expect I'll probably want to make a minor change or three as the construction proceeds. That's the way it always happens for me and it is a good, iterative process I do believe. It's called "design" and "build", and the points connect as if in a circle, if you know what I mean.

I've had a couple of glass samples sent to the client, so the glass tint, or lack thereof, remains an open question as of yet. The client doesn't like to see a greenish hue in glass, so both choices I have put forward thus far are low-iron glass, which have a slightly blue tinge to them.

As I mentioned last time, I was leaning towards removing the pentagonal foot pads from the legs. Well, they're gone now. Here's a look at the old leg (right) and new (left):


You can see that the 'stirrup' detail on the bottom has been slimmed and made less chunky. I was contemplating carving something there on the older design, but have decided to reduce the scope of that detail, in the interests of simplicity and clean lines.

Here's a view of the back of those legs, compared:


Now for a few views of the table. Here's a long-side perspective view:


A worm's eye 3/4 perspective:


I've added a batten to the underside of the shelf and, as you can see, the shelf frame now has a rounded outside face profile with a bead, which ties it into the upper table frame and the front face of the legs more harmoniously. The shelf frame has also been thickened up by 1/4" (6.35 mm), to 1.25" thick. The batten will connect to the shelf board with a full-length sliding dovetail, and to the surrounding frame by pegged mortise and tenon. You can also see some pegging visible in some of the pictures in the areas where the legs and shelf meet. I will be using a double-pegged floating tenon in those locations.

Another perspective:


A bird's eye view of the plan:


Finally, a short side elevation:


The shelf panel is Wenge, and in past days I received a piece of 8/4 edge grain Wenge which, due to the relative scarcity of that material at the local hardwood suppliers, had to come all the way from Ohio. I re-sawed first on my Hitachi bandsaw:


I took advantage of my jointer's recent resurrection to face and edge joint the pieces:


Of course, a machine-jointed surface is really only a rough-cut, and I finished off with hand jointing the edge until it was 'light-tight', with just the scantest hollowing in the middle (not pictured).

Then I put the two boards through my router table in several steps to form a tongue and groove joint:


I well realize that glued butt joints for the planks would plenty strong, however I prefer the mechanical wood connection of the tongue and groove to be the underlying baseline reality, and, as far as gluing goes, the tongue and groove increases the interior surface area of the connection by a considerable amount. That makes for a better connection in my view.

Time to bring out the hide glue and put those planks together:


That joint should be almost invisible by the time it is done, given the black material with its vertical grain orientation, and the dark glue line.

I also had some full-scale plots done of the principal frame sections to aid in rough cutting out the pieces from the lumber:


Another view:


I am holding off cutting into any of that stock quite yet, as I'm awaiting a final go-ahead from the client. Hopefully that will happen in the next day or so.

That's all for today - thanks for your visit. --> on to post 4

Labels: