Saturday, February 7, 2015

Gateway (50)

Post 50 in an ongoing series describing the design and construction of a kabukimon, a type of Japanese gate. This is a project for the Museum of Fine Arts in Boston. Post 1 in this series can be found here if you'd like to start at the beginning. Each post links to the next at the bottom of the page. Recent installments also to be found in the 'Blog archive' index to the right of the page.

--------

Got in a half day at the shop today, which seemed reasonable for a snowy saturday. Temps in the shop hovered around the freezing point. More snow coming tonight apparently. 

Decided to tackle the mortises for the sliding double-dovetail keys which will allow the flanking posts to sister onto the main posts.

It took a couple of hours or so to process the joints on the two flanking posts:


A closer look:


Closer yet:


And now a scanning electron microscope is brought to bear....

..just kidding.


Time to lay the flanking posts onto the main posts to transfer some lines, providing everything is looking copacetic:


This one has no issues that I could see:


Here's how the upper end of the flanking post, with its twin hammerhead tenons, interfaces with the mortise cut on the main post for the kasagi beam:


This is a mock-up showing how the flanking post will look once attached to the main post:


The length difference between the two posts attributes to the fact that the main post sits on a raised plinth stone, while the flanking post sits partly on that same plinth, and partly upon the granite sill a few inches lower down.

Now the other main post and flanking post were looking fine as well, save for this one area:


A large knot hole right where one of the sliding dovetail mortises needs to be placed. Fortunately it lies entirely underneath the flanking post so it will be concealed entirely.

Time for a patching job:


It was nothing I spent much time fussing over, the umeki just needs to be soundly attached to the main post so that it will hold in place and so it can be recut later for the sliding dovetail mortise:


Not so pretty, but it'll work. I put an electric blanket on top to help cure the epoxy overnight.

Should take an hour or so to cut the sliding dovetail mortises in the main posts, and then another hour or so to make the double-dovetail keys. Sounds like a job for Monday, not Sunday :^)

A look then at my pile of parts, just for the sake of throwing a few extra photos in:


Some of the above parts are complete through cut out and just need final planing, while others, namely the main door stiles on the right, and the side door stiles and rails on the left, are a step away from final dimensioning.

Same pile from the other end:


Rear support posts on the bottom of the pile to the right, and wall posts in the middle of the pile.

Here are the rail and batten stock pieces for the doors, still oversize:


My shaper tooling for cutting the tenons on the door parts arrives the middle of next week, so I'll let the door parts sit a while yet before doing any more work on them.

All for today - thanks for visiting the Carpentry Way. On to post 51

4 comments:

  1. Nice use of the word Copacetic..!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was either that or 'hunky-dory'.

      ~C

      Delete
    2. Possibly 'tickety-boo' would have worked as well..

      Delete

All comments are moderated:

Anonymous comments will be deleted

Spam will be deleted

Comments containing links unrelated to blog content will be deleted