With the extended hair pulling that has characterized the sideboard design familiar to regular readers I'm sure- a design which is still in process - I had some apprehensions as I started this design, however things flowed rather well and I felt quite pleased with the initial pass through. Not quite shaken out of my sleeve, but close. Walnut can be obtained in some fairly wide pieces, so I chose to take the tack of designing around a 1.5" thick slab top. The legs are about 2.5" square. Overall the table is 38" square, 19" tall, a simple 2:1 ratio.
Here are the preliminary views, and I haven't had any feedback yet from the client so I'm not sure if all this will get tossed or not, but I thought I'd share it all the same.
As you can see, bronze leveling feet are fitted. All solid wood, no fasteners or glue anticipated otherwise in the construction.
A similar view, this time with the Claro clicked 'on':
The waist is composed of several 'pillow block' like pieces, in simplified form at this stage. Those pieces are shown in a contrasting color, but at this point I'm undecided as to whether to introduce a secondary wood or not. I think the client had some interest in 'accents' without ornateness, so this is a step in that direction. Making the waist out of separate pieces is a nod to architecture, allows even air circulation to the top, and generally speaking I like negative spaces in a piece
And a worm's eye view:
I decided to offset the surfaces of the 3-way mitered rail to leg junction. All pieces are flat-chamfered, giving a faceted look.
Early days yet, so it will be interesting to see what devolves. After months on end of working with super hard abrasive woods, I am really looking forward to digging into some walnut. Ahh, medium density....
I hope you'll pop back sometime to see what happens. Thanks for coming by the Carpentry Way. On to post 2.