Monday, November 24, 2014

Craftsmanship in Wood - a NEW forum

I made some changes of late to the online Carpentry Study group, the foremost of which is to open the forum section up to the general public.

This forum is meant to serve as meeting and connection place for people who aim to develop themselves as craftspeople, as artisans. It's for people who are on a path of learning and mastery.

While much of the focus will be on Japanese woodworking, the idea is to also encompass traditional woodworking techniques, tools, and approaches from other parts of the globe as well. While the forum uses the term 'craftsmanship', this is not meant to exclude women in any way. The term 'craftspeopleship' didn't quite roll off the tongue so well. All are welcome.

If solid wood carpentry and furniture, joinery, and good tools is your thing, then you will undoubtedly find a place to connect with other like-minded individuals. I've asked several accomplished craftspeople to involve themselves, and they have said yes to that, so I anticipate some great discussions. It's all about sharing and deepening knowledge.

I encourage people to register to the forum using their real names, however do not insist upon it.

Here's the site link:

Craftsmanship In Wood Forum

You have to register before you can access the site, and when you visit the above link without having registered, there will be nothing to see. I administer the site and thus approve all new members, and a good 50% of new registrations are spam bots so it keeps me on my toes.

NOTE: as of March 1st, 2016, due to a high number of spambot registrations, I have changed the security from a q&a format to a request to contact me (admin). Email me and I will provide the 'answer' that will enable you to complete registration. My email contact is listed further down on the right side of the page. Sorry for the extra step, but so far being careful has paid off in no unwanted spam on the forum at all, and I want to keep it that way. The forum is not a place for commercial promotion.

The study group itself will likely be a part of the forum, occupying a category of its own. I have made some past study group projects available for free to new members. The study section alone is viewable by all, however it will require paid subscription to receive the newsletters, mailings and video for new material- please contact me directly if such material might be of interest to you. Study group memberships are the means by which we can pay for the forum hosting and keep me supplied with my favorite brand of potato chips. More on the study group format in an upcoming blog post.

Thanks for coming by the Carpentry Way, and perhaps we'll see you over on the Craftsmanship in Wood Forum?

10 comments:

  1. Thanks, I will try to register again later, that confirmation code was hard to read and I was locked out.

    Steve

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Steve,

      sorry to hear of your difficulties - someone with the user name 'Steve' did manage to register today, so perhaps this matter is sorted now?

      To try and deter spammers, I made the captcha more difficult to read. If others report that it is now too difficult, I will amend that to something easier to read.

      ~C

      Delete
  2. Exciting news. I'll be browsing the archives for sure, thanks for making this resource available.
    Mike S.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mike,

      yes, it is exciting! About 100 people have joined in the first couple of days, so I feel like things are well on their way. Welcome!

      ~C

      Delete
  3. Thank you for doing this, Chris. Though I must warn you I might inundate the list with mundane questions. I can see it as a tremendous help for me as I go through your TAJCD text (at a glacial pace). It also makes me wish I had more time to devote to the Study Group! Ah well, perhaps as I work my way through the archives I will be more inspired to join.

    Darrell U.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Darrell,

      welcome aboard! Feel free to ask all the questions you like - looking forward to hearing from you.

      ~C

      Delete
  4. Hi Chris,i have tried to login to the new forum,but i can't,maybe you can look at the problem for me.

    thank you

    Juryaan

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Juryaan,

      sorry to hear that. What happens when you click the link above? If you haven't registered yet, then you will need to do so before you can access the forum. Otherwise, if you have registered, the same link will get you to the forum. If you continue to have difficulty, please email me.

      ~C

      Delete
  5. Hi,

    I have been trying to register for the site, but when I click on the link I geta "Server Not Found" error message. Am I doing something incorrectly?

    Dave Parkis
    518-429-6581

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is the correct web address for the CW Forum:

      http://www.thecarpentryway.com/CraftsmanshipinWood/index.php

      I'm not sure why you are having those problems but I am sorry it is going on. If you type the above address in correctly, you will come to a page where you will no forums but will see a 'register' button - click on that and you should be alright from there.

      Delete

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?