Friday, November 18, 2011

Not A Build Thread (II)

A few more pictures so share of this quick build of a shelf unit to store some compact discs. Not really a build thread, more of a show and tell with minimal descriptions.

The curly Cherry was a delight to plane but not so easy to photograph:


Since this rack can be hung on a wall or placed upon the ground or a table, I decided to form small feet on the bottom of the case sides by relieving a portion, and then decided to add a little detail:


Roughed out:


You can't say that I am without heart.

All of the shelf components, except for the back, planed and ready for assembly:


A gave each piece a wipe with shellac, mostly for the shelf boards as Cherry can be uneven in how it accepts finishes:


The case got assembled by a crack team of elves, and here I am trimming the double-wedged shelf tenons flush to the carcase sides:


The saw I am using in the above picture, my jobber flush cutting saw, is very slightly dull, so it does not cut perfectly flush - I used a paring chisel to clean up the remains:


Next I planed the corner joints flush with the sides of the cabinet:


Setting the case to one side, I turned to working on the framed back panel parts. First I planed one side of the 5/16" thick Cherry panel:


The frame for the panel is made from some quartersawn Jatoba scraps, and is 3/8" thick. The frame is assembled with haunched mortise and tenon joints, the tenons being only 3/16" thick, 1" wide by 3/4" long. Assembly went without a hitch, and after slathering on some glue, I clamped the parts together for assembly. I let that sit for a few minutes, and I then took the panel out of the clamps and placed it in the cabinet, and then re-clamped. This ensures that the framed panel will fit without a hitch in the cabinet:


The upper frame member on the back has a 3/16" wide, 3/16" deep tongue which engages into a corresponding groove on the carcase top board. The framed panel it tipped in upper end first, then rotated down and into the rest of the rebate on the carcase.

A view from the front after assembly:


Another view:


So there you have it. I will fix the back panel to the case using four screws through the back panel's Jatoba frame into the back edges of two of the shelf boards. Then I will put 4 holes into the back panel frame so that I can use another four screws to fix the cabinet onto the wall. I don't use metal fasteners very often, but in this case, where the entire case it to be screwed onto the wall, it seemed appropriate.

All that remains to do it a round of oiling or two, a scrub off with some 3M abrasive cloth or #0000 steel wool, and then a coat or two of wax.

Thanks for visiting the Carpentry Way - comments always welcome.

2 comments:

  1. A great looking cabinet Chris. The heart detail is a nice touch.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dale,

    thanks for the comment! I can't help but think I'm building a cabinet for a form of media that is already probably outdated, but it will give us a place to store the discs for then next while at least.

    ~C

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?