Monday, March 14, 2011

Inspiration - Ford Hallam

I was sent links to two videos recently by a reader, each about one half of a documentary on acclaimed jeweler/metalsmith Ford Hallam. Hallam's path is following, and branching from, traditional Japanese metal crafts. He has indeed reached a high level of consummate artisanry in his work. I am deeply impressed by his skill, and humbled by the purity of his approach to the work, and thought I'd share these videos -Utsushi - In Search of Katsuhira's Tiger - with readers here. For full screen, click twice and you will find yourself over on YouTube.

Part 1:



Part 2:



Hallam's teacher in Japanese metal craft is Izumi, Koshiro, and here Hallam makes some comments about his sensei:



And finally, Hallam comments about his method of work, which is centered on hand tools:



I hope readers here find, like I did, tremendous inspiration in this artist's work. I feel energized to deepen my path of study and effort in the medium in which I work.

3 comments:

  1. I kept on watching the videos again and again. They created a unique work of arts and it exerts so much patience to finish the work. Metal craft is a tough job.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metal crafts awesome. The videos impressed me on how to work on metal. I think this kind of work requires patience.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yes, totally awesome work by Ford.

    ~C

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?