Friday, January 21, 2011

Ming Inspiration (18)

Rolling along with post 18 in this build thread about a Ming-inspired dining table. Ming inspiration with 21st century perspiration. Previous episodes can be found in the 'blog archive' at the right of the page or by way of the 'labels index', under 'Ming Table'.

What we have today my friends are a whole bunch of pictures about the process I have been engaged in for the past two days. That process, working to complete the profiling on the outer table aprons, could be summarized as follows: rout, plane, scrape, plane, scrape, plane.... you get the idea I'm sure. Did I mention that a fair amount of planing and scraping has occupied me recently?

First though I made up a simple jig to tilt the router at a slight angle to remove a portion of the waste and define the bead:


Then I was getting a little chisel-happy with a Funahiro 36mm paring chisel, which inexplicably became my scraper. Its edge went a good long while, longer than my fingers could hold out anyhow:


Then the chisel work could really begin in earnest:


More:


And then it was time to go to town with the recently-made 60˚ plane:


As expected, pulling a 70mm plane is physically demanding after, oh, 5 minutes, and I was glad once in a while to switch around and put the Lie Neilsen scraping plane to use, on loan from John Z. upstairs, allowing me to work some other muscles:


It's not a bad little plane at all, albeit with a skinnier blade in relation to what I'm used to.

Here's one of the long rails at the 90% mark:


Another view shows the bead a bit more starkly - the surface down to the bead needs a few more planing passes yet:


Here's a close up of the profile - the bead itself is not quite shaped to final form, as I have to make a custom card scraper for that step, a step which can wait for just a while yet:


My Lee Valley Shoulder plane got a workout too, and though I was apprehensive about getting some tear-out with its relative low blade bedding angle, it did okay:


This was a great tool for cleaning the face immediately adjacent to the bead:


If I had gotten some tear out with the shoulder plane, I would have steepened the bevel angle up, but that turned out to be unnecessary.

More planing:


And more chiseling - here I'm shaping the area where the bead jogs up:


The second rail is to the 90% mark in the profiling olympiad:


Once the 4 aprons were profiled to the target, I then cut the 4 aprons to final length, plus a hair. Then it was time to remove that material on the back sides of the sticks which I had drilled out a couple of weeks back. The slow-moving approach and gradual work I have done to remove material in a balanced fashion from the sticks appears to have paid off as the sticks remain dead straight.

To remove the remainder of the material on the backside, to a 3/4" depth, I elected to rout:


The longer rails however had like an acre of material to remove, so I pulled the groover out of it's wooden box and got it fired up:


That did the trick, though chips are spread far and wide and all over my bandsaw:


That leaves me with only about 0.1" of material on deck to remove with the router. That's tomorrow's first task on the list, and then I will move towards getting friendly with the corner joints themselves, which, as I mentioned in an earlier post, represent a fairly unique solution to joining the aprons and corner leg with a 3-way miter. Stay tuned.

Thanks for coming by the Carpentry Way today. --> on to post 19

5 comments:

  1. Really looks good. I've been following the entire project so far and I can't wait for each post, let alone the finished table!

    ReplyDelete
  2. A very enjoyable read as always Chris. I'd also like to wish you an early Happy Anniversary! I may be out of town late next week so I thought I'd send a thank you now for a great two years of information and lessons you have shared with us all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Chris

    I have been following along with your adventures in tableland and its been great to see how that beautiful stock is slowly morphing into a piece of furniture. The grain contrasts, where the rod tenons meet their mortices, is fantastic: worth lying on the floor to see.

    Your tip about using pencil lead and camellia oil to mark the high spots,
    when fitting one thing to another, is extremely useful. Thanks for that and all the posts. May there be many more!

    Tom

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dale,

    many thanks for your kind wishes on the upcoming 2nd anniversay!

    Tomaus,

    thanks for your comment and I am glad to hear that you are enjoying this thread.

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  5. Adam,

    thanks for your kind words as well!

    ~C

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated:

Anonymous comments will be deleted

Spam will be deleted

Comments containing links unrelated to blog content will be deleted