Friday, May 21, 2010

Screen Play (21)

At the risk of this getting monotonous, here is post 21 in the series. I'm detailing the build-up of a tsuitate, a type of Japanese free-standing screen, based on historical examples, and my own design and construction ideas. Previous installments located in the 'Blog Archive' to the right of the page.

Today's task involves a couple of components. First I set up the main parts of the frame so I could fit the sill piece:


In it goes:


Getting closer:


And seated:


The fit is decent, though I'll need to do a small amount of fine tuning yet. Not a concern at this point in the proceedings.

With the sill in place, I fitted a temporary piece of oak across the gap. This will help support the panels, which are the focus of today's work. Then I measured carefully to establish a line which corresponds to the bottom of the groove in the lower inner frame piece, which is absent from the scene at the moment:


Then out comes the long Shinwa to mark a straight line:


Once I had that lower reference line in place, I located a vertical center line reference and then marked out the spacing of the boards along the piece of oak and at the top of the frame. Then I placed my central panel on the lines and marked the areas with any overlap, having left some of the panels about 1/16" (1 mm) wider than target at the get-go :


I had about 3mm at one side and 1.mm at the other to trim. These excesses of material then fell victim to my Mosaku 54mm:


A while later:


Once the board was trimmed to meet the marks, I crawled underneath and traced the outline of the frame onto the panel:


I repeated the process with the other two panels. When all was done, my next job was to mark a line offset about 1/4" from the traced line on the panel:


The dado in the frame is about 3/8" deep all around, so I have a total of 1/4" (1/8" on each side) of room for the panel to swell, but I really doubt it will move even 1/10th of that.

As I mentioned a couple of posts back, I didn't leave the middle panel with much room to spare for length when I trimmed the end initially:


That was close!

After knifing the cut lines, it was time for a little jigsawing:


When the dust had settled, the three panels were now in their final shapes. I fit them back on as a group to double-check the results:


Next step with those panels is to scrape, plane and finish them (I'll be using Tung oil), however I have a patch to do at the bottom of one of them, so that will be the next order of business.

Thanks for dropping by the Carpentry Way today. I hope you enjoyed the visit and comments are always welcome. --> Onwards to post 22

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?