Monday, April 26, 2010

Screen Play (8)

Previous installments in the Screen Play series:

Screen Play and then Benched, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

A few more steps have been taken in this project. One was to create a new template for defining the inner 'frame' from the outer frame. In this case, I made a duplicate of the master template, and then cut the master up along previously-marked lines. First, the rough cut piece is shaped to conform to the master template:


Then I trimmed the master template to the line:


Here's the two pieces stacked, to show the profiles at the corner:


I followed this up with a session of filing and spoke-shaving to bring the new template to the line.

Then back to the mahogany, where I was working the corner joints together. After a little chisel work, the fit was getting pretty close:


Then I made a few adjustments using a shoulder plane:


The resulting fit was improved a bit:


As you can see in the next photo, I've begun shaping the outer corner of the joint by profiling from the outside surfaces in:


I then did some work with a chainsaw file to clean up the irizumi side:


Here's how that looked afterward:


The slight opening at the right corner doesn't matter as I will be removing around 0.5" of material from the faces of the parts when I form the inner frame from the template made in the first few photos of today's post.

I then moved the shaping of the outside of the joint a little further ahead:


Then a little more chisel work and it's starting to get pretty close:


And then a little more chisel work brings it closer yet (not sure if it is obvious from the photo though):


Also in the course of today's work I trimmed the bottom of the legs closer to length, and made up some temporary wedges to lock the joints together out of some scrap Bloodwood I had kicking around. The wedges will be parallelogram-shaped in section.

That's all for today my friends, thanks for dropping by the Carpentry Way. On to post 9

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?