Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Screen Play (6)

Onward and upward. This is the 6th post in a build thread about a movable Japanese room partition, or tsuitate. Previous episodes are found in the Blog Archive to the right of this page.

With the leg tenons roughed out, I turned my attentions to the flickering flame top beam, or katō kyokusen ita. Once again, I began with a little sawing, with the now classic Sawing for Teens soundtrack blaring in the background:


Slicing and dicing now complete (it's amazing what you can do with a VitaMix™!):


A little trimming with my router followed, where I managed to get pretty close to my target dimension:


Next step was to trim the tenons down in width - I commenced with the leg tenons:


The leg tenons now diminished, but still, er, proud:


Here's the two legs, along with the top beam at the bottom, which has yet to have its tenons trimmed:


While the camera battery needed a recharge, I moved along, so there are a few stages I'll have to omit from the photographic record. So, shazam!, here is the next stage in the joint development;


The arrangement on the top beam is the mirror of the legs':


The other side:


A little messing about with a paring chisel ensued:


After a bit more trimming an clean-up the joint is starting to take shape:


The stub tenons are slightly fat still and need to have the lower abutment trimmed to a 45˚ angle.

Another view of the leg tenon arrangement - kind of like something out of Battlestar Galactica, eh?:


Just a teaser:


Finally, the three upper frame components are nearly there:


Next step with these joints is to process the mortises for the stub tenons, or mechi. Then the trench-ways for the wedge pins, or shachi sen, will be chopped out. Once I am able to lock the joints up, I can profile the legs and top beam to final form as a unit, though I have a few other tasks to deal with before that profiling takes place. Lots more fun ahead.

Thanks so much for your visit today! --> On to post 7

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?