Saturday, March 7, 2009

Lamp of Sacrifice II

For the duration of this deck and fence project for Germaine, my 'palatial shop' space was to be this pair of sawhorses:


After stripping the old deck boards and hand railing off, I found that the existing main deck joists were in decent shape, so as a cost-cutting measure, I decided to build part of the new deck using the existing structure, including the main joist carrier beam:


As you can see in the above photo, I have already managed to cut a few of the perimeter beams for the added-on deck section.

Unlike the mad rush and inadequate site survey accompanying the construction of the power shed on my property, this time I was able to do proper foundation points for the deck support posts. I dug down to the hard pan, filled up the hole with rocks and gravel, and then set a large river boulder on a bed of concrete. The boulders I salvaged off the beach, some of which had to be carried quite long distances:


I prepared the ground under the old deck and put in some landscaping cloth. Then I cast the pads for the therapy pool:


It's not visible in the photo, but the client wrote a poem by Pablo Neruda into the wet concrete.

After a bit of work, I had a tidy pile of Yellow cedar components all cut:


Here's a scarf joint - this particular variant is called O-kake-daisen tsugi:


Here I'm tapping that scarf joint together:


I positioned the deck extension before the pool was installed, here is one of the central posts, with stepped tenon:


I paint the end grain to retard it's ability to transfer moisture in and out.

Here's another joint in the lower deck, a housed 45˚connection using a single sliding dovetail, a form of connection I generally avoid, however in this case the load on the connection was minimal- it merely allowed for support for the deck boards to be as close to the therapy pool as possible:


Then the tub was put in:


I couldn't help but notice that the company that supplied the tub took but a week to make it and installed it in a day, yet they charged more for that than I had for the entire deck and fence I was building. I thought, hmm....

While chewing that over, I continued to assemble, here I'm sliding a nuki into place:


Finally the upper deck and fence started to take form. All of the fence was pure joinery, no metal connectors, and I fitted a bamboo lattice into the top opening, scribing mortises for each individual rod of bamboo:


The weeks rolled by, and little by little it came together:


Each post was individually scribed to fit against its supporting river boulder:


Here's a view of the tub and deck from the far end:


The summer began to draw to an end:


I didn't have a jointer to quickly produce dressed square-section timber, so I elected to use layout techniques on the rough-sawn material to determine the fit of the joinery, and here you can see one of the crossing points:


One of the other big mistakes I made in relation to this deck project was in the grade of material I used. I knew the budget was limited, and i had managed to find some salvaged Yellow Cedar for the dirt-cheap price of $1000/1000 bd.ft.. This material however, proved to have brash grain, numerous checks, and spiral grain in a number of places. In one case, I had prepared a fence post with all it's joinery, set it aside in my pile and didn't get to install it until 6 weeks or so later. By that point, the spiral grain issue had manifested, and the post had rotated a full inch around! Having no extra material or budget, I had to do a lot of re-adjusting and fiddling around - this added 4 days of work all by itself, which was in fact 1/3 of the budget which allowed for 12 days of work. Lesson learned: when doing highly labour-intensive joinery work (that is, high value added), the material should be as good as possible.

This is a view of the deck extension as the rear fence and connecting beams are fitted:


I needed to build two sets of stairs, one from the deck to the pool, and one from the deck to the ground. Here's the set-up for the latter, also showing the Purpleheart threshold:


The client was really enjoying seeing the project unfold - me too, and I had resigned myself to 'not making much money' on this job, already having well exceeded the initial hoped-for time frame of one month.

The deck project, once largely complete in terms or the timber frame, fence, and deck boards, then devolved to three smaller projects: the two sets of stairs, and the door for the exit. I'll detail those projects in the next post.

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?