Saturday, March 28, 2009

Irregular Situation VI

Today I'll wrap up my account of making an irregular sawhorse with a look at the final steps in completing the cap and assembling the structure. Last time, I showed how the sliding dovetail mortises were cut, and all that remained after that step was to fit in a locking mechanism. This is the same type of mechanism I used to secure the paneled top on the Vanity project described in a previous thread.

First I fit the Larch top into position, selected the location where the locking pin would be fitted and then made a mark to index both pieces:


Marks were then transferred across the face of both the cap and the beam, and the trenches were fully marked out. Then, out came the dozuki and I started the cut out:


These steps are identical for both the cap and the beam, so I'll only detail the steps for the cap. After the trench shoulder was crosscut, I used a chisel to remove most of the waste:



Then I fine-tuned it with a LN skewed corner cutting plane, a tool I have since lost somewhere in Kimberley B.C.:


The nearly completed trench in the cap, just another pass or two (done when the fixing pin gets fitted) are remaining:


What can't easily be seen in the above picture is that the shoulder of the trench does not run 90˚ across the surface - it is sloped inward a couple of degrees, as is it's partner on the beam. The shoulder cut, however, is 90˚, which means that the fixing pin is a tapered parallelogram.

Here's how the cap and beam come together then:


2:


And three, with the fixing pin started:


This is the completed sawhorse after assembly:


The short side, where the legs splay 3 in 10:


And the long side, where the legs splay 2.25 in 10:


This sawhorse was major layout triumph for me, and I consider it, in technical terms, an equal or better of any piece of furniture I have made to date. I know that may not be saying much, but I guess my point is that the world may be found in a teacup - the sawhorse is a great vehicle for layout study, and I felt a great sense of accomplishment to have figured out the layout for this structure.

This sawhorse has been put to plenty of use since I made it 4 years ago, and has proved it's strength and durability, holding well over 1000 lbs when moving a large lathe one time. I have left the mortise and tenon stretcher connections without pegging, wedging, or glue, and the construction holds together just fine. I have, alas, found the top with a saw blade on one occasion, and dropped a chunk of wood on it another time, so the cap has a couple of Yellow Cedar patches now. It's serving it's purpose well, in other words.

I am extremely thankful for the gentle pointers that Togashi-sensei provided me at the beginning of this study. When I completed the sawhorse, I sent him pictures and a small token of my thanks. He seemed pleased with what I had made, and asked me to send him my drawings, which I considered an honor.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Chris,
    Thanks for pointing me to this wonderful series of posts on the sawhorse. I had looked at all the titles of your posts to try and find it before I asked as I don't like to waste people's time by asking questions they have already answered. I am gobsmacked by what you can do.
    Cheers
    Andrew

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?