Friday, March 27, 2009

Irregular Situation V

Continuing on with the account of the making of the irregular pitch, regular plan sawhorse...

Once the nuki were all cut, I did a trial assembly with the legs to see how things come together. The ideal is to cut everything once, put it together once, and have everything fit perfectly, but I haven't got there yet. I usually need to make a couple of trial fits and slight adjustments before the fits are satisfactory. In this type of structure with splayed legs, all the parts need to snug up simultaneously - here's the mid-way point:


The fit looked pretty good at the initial fitting in this case, which I put down to being extra fussy with stock prep and leg shaping:


Then I spead the works apart again and fitted the top beam in and began to bring it all together:


The fit was fine, so I moved onto the next step - processing the dovetail tenons on the tops of the legs. While I have a few different types of dovetail planes, I prefer to cut sliding dovetails by router:


I used a simple jig, the router referencing off the outer edges of the MDF:


This was the result:


Then I started working on the top cap, which I chose to make out of some Larch. In the region of the Kootenays (a region of S. Eastern British Columbia) I was living, there were loads of standing dead Larch for some reason, so it was possible to obtain some really good material - this was layout around the shop as scrap in fact. I had never worked with Larch before, and I found it to be a forgiving material and easy to work cleanly.

First I established the layout, then mortised the entry points for the dovetails and cleaned them up with a chisel and paring block:


Then I used a kebiki to score the lines for the dovetail mortises:


Then out came the bulk of the waste using a Forstner bit in the drill press:


That was followed by a pass with the router, and here's the result of processing half the dovetail:


Then I cleaned up of the inside corners with a 5mm paring chisel after completing the dovetail routing on both sides:


It looks like there will be a part 6 to this series....

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?