Thursday, March 26, 2009

Irregular Situation IV

Before I continue on with the details of the leg tenon cut out, I wanted to put in a photo I omitted yesterday: a close up one of the mortises on the legs. This one is mostly cut out, just the left-side shoulder to trim flat and some clean up inside:


Back to the leg tenons - the next step was to cut the inside shoulders, using a medium-size ryoba nokogiri:


And then I define the outside face which is to be housed. The French refer to this part as the 'barbe' (beard), and they are a little tricky to cut given the acute inner angle - again, a sharp rip blade on my ryoba noko was the ticket:


Here's a close-up of two of the tenons, cut-out largely complete:


The next step was to individually fit each leg to the top:




Once each leg was fully in position, I could mark out the inside face of the tenon for the small slice that would be removed:


This allowed a pair of these tenons to nestle tightly together:


Then I turned my attention to the nuki. I don't have detailed photos of the cut out sequence, but what I processed were haunched and shouldered tenons, slightly smaller than 1/2 height:


When cut-out was complete, then followed a round of planing on the nuki:



Then I planed the end-grain on the beam and chamfered the three arrises (leaving the top arris since the cap was yet to be fitted):


--> On to part V

4 comments:

  1. G'Day Chris,
    I am thoroughly enjoying all of your posts - first thing I read each day. Is the 'wetness' I can see around the saw-horse joints camellia oil?

    Regards

    Derek Cox

    ReplyDelete
  2. Derek,

    g'day! Pleased to read that you're enjoying my posts.

    Yes, that is camellia oil around the joints you are seeing.

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ah, so the oil shows the contact spots and presumably is easily removed later?
    This is a great site / blog to learn from, Chris, many thanks for your efforts.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Gordon,

    not quite: actually the oil - Camellia oil - is used to lubricate cuts. It evaporates away in a day or two. In the above pictures, the sticks are freshly cut out and the oil is visible.

    ~Chris

    ReplyDelete

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?