Wednesday, March 25, 2009

Irregular Situation III

The next steps in the process of making the irregular sawhorse were the legs. Determining the diamond-shaped profile for a leg which slopes differentially took a fair amount of head-scratching and multiple contacts with Togashi-sensei, as mentioned in the first post in this thread. There were several drawings involved, and they get a bit complex - here's a stripped-down illustration, showing in red the shape of the leg required:

You might notice that the corners of the leg do not meet the diagonal axis line of the piece.

With the shape determined, I set about preparing the rough stock, in some lovely dense Kootenay-region Douglas Fir, and then making a sled to process the leg shapes in the planer. The jig is essentially two pieces of MDF connected with a piano hinge:


The wedges can be seen protruding from one side. These wedges are made as precisely as I could make them. I then made up another MDF jig to fix the blank from which the wedges are cut:


Here I'm running the wedge-maker jig through the table saw:


Once the wedges are made and the sled configured, I do a test run on some scrap stock and check the results carefully, then adjust the jig as necessary. Then I run the legs through the planer, one round for one side, then I run the leg through the planer without the jig to make a pair of parallel faces, then the jig is reset with new wedges, and the complimentary faces are processed:


With a different amount of angle requiring removal from two different faces, and only a slight difference between the angles, it would be easy to get confused, so I mark the end grain of the legs before planing to keep everything in order:


The legs came from reclaimed stock, and I chose to patch one of the more egregious flaws - which happened to be right where a through tenon would emerge. Here is the patch after gluing but before final planing:


Then I lay out and knife the legs for the stretcher (nuki) mortises, along with the bottom cuts and top cuts, and of course the top tenons:


Then I chop out and pare the mortises, cut the feet, and rough cut the tenons. After all that, I then finish plane the legs:


Then I chamfer the arrises:


Here's the beginning of the processing of the tenons on the tops of the legs, the rips of the side tenons done on the table saw with a tenoning jig:


The arrows identify the outside corner of the legs - it's important to take extra steps to avoid confusion - this I have learned by experience.

--> go to post IV

No comments:

Post a Comment

All comments are moderated, so if you're planning to spam this, know now that your clicking and pasting is in vain. I do read the comments before posting, so your mission is doomed from the outset. All this time and effort trying to put your inane spam onto blogs -- is this how you want to spend your time on earth?

Please do me the courtesy of appending your name to your comment, even if posting under the 'anonymous' option. No name = deleted.

Comments NOT accepted include:

-those containing links unrelated to blog content
-spam of any kind, or ham for that matter
-did I mention that attempted spam postings will be non-starters?